An exhibit called, "City as Canvas: Graffiti Art from the Martin Wong Collection." Comedian Yannis Pappas. Ice skating at Rockefeller Center. Apollo Open House Weekend in Celebration of Black History Month. A "Saved by the Bell" musical parody. Dinner at the Meatball Shop. This is a sampling of the things you could do in New York City just this weekend. And that's not including the Athena Film Festival, right on Barnard's campus.
So how do you choose, especially when you are also a full-time student at Barnard? Barnard women have a reputation for keeping their plates full, between 4-5 of engaging, rigorous classes, involvement in clubs and events on campus, and just spending time with friends. But all of them manage to carve out some time to soak in the seemingly infinite opportunities of the city.
We asked a few students about their favorite things to do in the city, and here's what they said:
![]() |
| Gina Lee '14 |
Gina Lee '14
Hometown: Horsham, PA
Every now and then, I find myself waiting in some ridiculous line in New York, sometimes for hours, usually at an unusually early (or late) hour, and always for something absolutely worth it. Whether it's student rush tickets to a Broadway show or the best seats at a lecture, there are so many New York experiences that are worth waiting in line for, and I've found that spending time just waiting isn't so bad when you're here, with the hustle and bustle of the city all around and in the company of an instantaneous community of strangers just as eager as you to get a cheap ticket or a good seat.
Last semester, for example, I saw actors Christoph Waltz and Michelle Williams, comedian Aziz Ansari, and a panel of agents in espionage, including Antonio Mendez (now of Argo fame), all in one weekend as part of The New Yorker Festival, put on by the magazine each year. And that was just one weekend among countless others, during which I've taken a moment to stop and appreciate the wonder of the city, which is all the more wondrous for having to wait in line.
Chelbi Dickens '15
Hometown: Pikesville, MD
One of the greatest features of New York City is the wide spectrum of character upon which the different neighborhoods are placed. From the Village to Midtown to Harlem to the Upper East Side—you can and will find a different flavor of NYC depending upon where you are. Simply strolling north to south along a grand avenue or along streets east to west, you can sense a change in the atmosphere, architecture, residents, pedestrians on the sidewalks, businesses and shops.
![]() |
| Chelbi Dickens '15 and friend |
I have always had a passion for the arts; dance, music, theatre, photography, and film are art forms which inspire me and the mediums in which I find the most enjoyment expressing myself. It's no surprise, then, that two of my favorites things to do in the city are visiting museums and seeing performances. I love visiting the Met and Guggenheim on Museum Mile on the Upper East Side. In Chelsea, I love going to the Upright Citizens’ Brigade improv comedy shows and touring dance companies’ performances at the Joyce Theatre. I also love seeing the Metropolitan Opera and New York City Ballet at Lincoln Center, shopping at street markets and fairs at South Street Seaport, and listening to poetry readings in the Bowery. I enjoy most exploring new neighborhoods, discovering the artistic environment offered, and chronicling my sightings in an online photo blog. As a dancer, I have taken master classes at Broadway Dance Center and Alvin Ailey and I like dancing at Latin restaurants/clubs such as Gonzalez y Gonzalez on the Lower East Side. As a film enthusiast, I frequent the AMC Theatre on Broadway & 84th Street and enjoy the annual Athena Film Festival at Barnard and Tribeca Film Festival.
And that's just in Manhattan! The outer boroughs, too, add to the dynamic place known at the Big Apple. Because of its diversity and vibrancy, New York City is constantly thriving. You will never have to look too far to find something that will pique your curiosity.
![]() |
| Alyssa Blackman '17 |
Alyssa Blackman '17
Hometown: Montclair, NJ
Exploring New York City is one of my passions! With endless funky cafes, trendy stores, incredible landmarks, and over 300 square miles of metropolis, New York City is the heart of culture and adventure. But living in such a bustling city and being a full-time student can be overwhelming at times. One way I stay grounded is by making time for myself and reconnecting with nature. Once in a while I walk the short distance to Riverside Park to watch the sunset. Taking a moment to watch the sun set over the Hudson against an orangey-purple sky is transcendent. The unique contrast between the city's high energy and serene nature is one of the counteless reasons that I love it here.
![]() |
| Here's to more adventures in Brooklyn! Maame Yaa Buckman '15 |
Maame Yaa Buckman '15
Hometown: Accra, Ghana
When I think of returning to New York for school, I immediately get excited for the new restaurants and eateries I'm going to explore! It's fascinating how much you can find. Some super-cheap Halal carts or relatively inexpensive restaurants, perfect for a student. There are also much fancier restaurants that require me to pinch pennies until I can finally treat myself. Cupcake hunting is definitely one of my favorite pastimes - I hope to make this a part of my future job!
I also love the small cafes and restaurants in Morningside Heights that offer convenience and variety within a relatively small area: Hungarian Pastry Shop, Tom's Restaurant on Broadway, and Frida's - a little trek away but definitely worth it. I also love to venture between 70th and 80th Streets on Broadway and Columbus Avenues, as they always offer something new. This semester I'm also hoping to explore a lot more in Brooklyn!
From,
A Food Enthusiast (in case you hadn't noticed)




No comments:
Post a Comment