Monday, May 19, 2014

Student Voices: My Internship in the City (Part 1)


by Leah Sodowick, Class of 2016
 
With over 2,500 internships available to Barnard students, choosing the best opportunities and then navigating the world of cover-letter writing, applications, and interviews can seem like a daunting task. With the help of the Barnard Career Development office, my adviser, and older students, the process of finding a summer internship became a lot easier.

As a psychology major, I was interested in finding either a research assistant position or a more clinical experience. I love working with kids, so I searched for research projects focusing on children’s psychology -- such as NYU’s Child Study Center -- and work at various children’s hospitals and clinics. After weeks searching for the internship that best suited my interests and goals, I had a few options to choose from: working at a toddler cognition lab, assisting a group psychotherapy program at St. Luke's Hospital, and interning in the Psychiatric Inpatient Unit at Bellevue Hospital. 

Image by Piotr Redlinski for The New York Times
I am excited to say that I chose Bellevue Hospital! I chose this opportunity because I knew that working with a team of psychologists, social workers, nurses, and psychiatrists would help me learn multiple perspectives and better realize my own career interests for the future. Additionally, I felt that the internship program at Bellevue would provide the most fulfilling, hands-on experience. Working with patients, shadowing professionals, leading fun group activities, and gathering intake and follow-up information for patients were all attractive features of the program. I am so excited for the summer to begin so that I can get my feet wet in a professional setting!

Below are some helpful tips that I discovered while looking for my internship in New York City:

  1. Check out the Career Development Office: Before you start your search, set up an appointment with an adviser at the Career Development Office! They have tons of resources and opportunities that you may not be able to find through a quick internet search. At the beginning of my search I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and lost, but Career Development was able to narrow my search, find internship opportunities based on my academic interests and personality, and guide me through the cover-letter/resume writing process. Career Development’s web page has a lot of useful information as well, and don’t forget you can always meet with a peer counselor in the office to have your application reviewed. 
  2. Meet with your academic adviser: Your adviser is another great resource for advice and information about internship and research opportunities in your field of interest. Oftentimes, professors will know of colleagues who are looking to higher an undergraduate intern or connect you with their past advisees who have had positive experiences.
  3. Don’t be afraid to follow up with employers and professors: As someone who was interested in working in a psychology lab as a research assistant, I had to send many e-mails to professors and Lab Managers to inquire about available positions and application materials. Do not get frustrated if you do not hear back right away. Sometimes it takes employers a few weeks to respond. Patience is key. If you do not hear back within a few weeks, it never hurts to send a follow up e-mail or call.
  4. Talk to older students: I learned about my summer internship at Bellevue Hospital through my friend, Jasmine. Talking to fellow students about their past internships is a great way to hear about their unique experiences and even get the contact information for their previous employers. Maybe they will even put in a good word for you!
  5. Consider unpaid internships: Earning money over the summer is certainly ideal and, for some, a necessity. But don’t stay away from unpaid internships. Oftentimes you can receive academic credit for your work, and Barnard Career Development even offers funding opportunities specifically for the purpose of allowing students to take advantage of unpaid positions. Additionally, the experience of interning itself is extremely valuable. Learning new skills, working amongst professionals who can write you letters of recommendation in the future, and discovering your interests for possible careers are truly priceless.  Don’t forget, if you need to earn money in order to afford to live in NYC over the summer (like myself!), you can always find great babysitting jobs and weekend jobs to supplement.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment