Like many Barnard students, I
searched high and low for a paid internship in the city. Throughout my first
year, I regularly stopped by Career Development to have my resume and cover
letters reviewed before sending them off to dozens of employers. Needless to say, I
received many rejections. Fortunately, my luck turned around this spring when
I was offered an internship with BET Networks!
As an intern, I have worked in the office
two days a week doing research, pitching ideas, and developing social media posts
for the company. Interning while also juggling a full-time courseload has been
challenging but also rewarding. I was even able to fit my academic schedule
around my internship and still had time to participate in extracurricular
activities like cheering for Columbia (Go Lions)! From this internship, I’ve
discovered that I really enjoy working in media and would consider following
this career path after graduation.
Many people are surprised when I
tell them I intern for a large media company, despite my major in Urban Studies. From my
sessions with Career Development peer advisors, I crafted my resume to showcase
the skills I gained through my involvement in on-campus clubs and other
organizations. Although I ultimately found my internship on my own, I wouldn’t
have been as competitive if I had not used the support of the Career
Development office. My advice for any intern hopefuls out there: go for
whatever position you desire, no matter how big or small. Silence the naysayers
and reach for your goals!

No comments:
Post a Comment